1324 trinity hospital
Henry Plantagenet, youngest son of Edmund Crouchback, inherited Leicester Castle to become the third Earl of Leicester in 1324. In 1331 he began work on the Newarke Trinity Hospital for the poor of Leicester. His son, Henry of Grosmont, completed the hospital in 1354, and built a gatehouse in the Newarke which still survives to this day, known as Turret Gateway.
Trinity Hospital provided accommodation for 50 poor and infirm townsfolk, 20 of whom were permanent residents. The hospital had four chaplains to care for their spiritual needs and five women to nurse physical ailments. The chaplains were supposed to "avoid taverns and the market place", and the nurses were to be of "good fame and untarnished reputation".
Today, the modern Trinity is a sheltered housing scheme with 22 flats for the elderly. It occupies a modern building on a site on the canal bank at the junction of Duns Lane and Western Boulevard. Trinity Hospital still retains its Royal connections to the Crown, through the Duchy of Lancaster, to this very day.