1689 - THE HALL'S BRICK FRONTAGE
In 1689 during the reign of King William III and Queen Mary II, the monarchy signed the English Bill of Rights. This action signalled the end of several centuries of tension and conflict between the crown and parliament. During this period the Eastern side of the Great Hall was taken down and replaced with a brick frontage. The Great Hall is one of the earliest brick buildings in Leicester. Brick making was introduced into England by the Roman army during the first century.
Listen to Richard Buckley, (lead archaeologist at Leicester University) describe the frontage of Leicester Castle.